There have been changes in the ANCYL. You have noticed, haven’t you?
A few people have been either expelled or suspended from the league following a long disciplinary hearing and appeals process. Yesterday night (Tuesday) saw the dawn of a new era in South African politics, as a number of influential youth leaders in the ANCYL were expelled from the party.
The remaining members of the youth league have made a number of changes to their organisation (and their website too) since Malema was expelled a couple of hours ago. These are some of the changes made to the ANCYL website (also see pictures below):
- Julius Malema, Sindiso Magaqa, and Floyd Shibambu’s names were removed from some parts of the website – the list of leaders no longer feature their names.
- The home page banner which directed website visitors to a list of Malema’s “From the President’s Desk” opinion articles was removed – but the list of his articles is still intact on the website.
- And most importantly, the league’s nationalisation of mines campaign banner which originally featured Malema’s face and Floyd Shibambu’s Google email address has been replaced with a new banner and a request to contact Magdelene Moonsamy (but without any contact details).
In a statement issued by the ANC national disciplinary committee of appeals (NDCA) the committee’s chairperson, Cyril Ramaphosa, made the following announcement:
“Having considered the grounds of appeal and the Heads of Argument, the NDCA rules as follows:-
APPEAL OF FLOYD SHIVAMBU
227. The appeal is dismissed.
228. The Respondent`s argument that the sanction of the Appellant be increased to a suspension of 5 years was considered by the NDCA and rejected.
229. The sanction imposed by the NDC that the Appellant`s ANC membership be suspended for a period of 3 years is confirmed.
230. This sanction is applicable to the Appellant`s membership of the ANC Youth League.
APPEAL OF SINDISO MAGAQA
231. The appeal is dismissed.
232. Having had regard to all the circumstances concerning this appeal, the NDCA, in the exercise of its discretion, varies the sanction imposed by the NDC as follows:-
“The Appellant`s ANC membership is suspended for a period of 1 year, which shall come into operation with immediate effect”.
233. This sanction is applicable to the Appellant`s membership of the ANC Youth League.
234. Consequently, cde Sindiso Magaqa shall vacate his position as Secretary General of the ANC Youth League.
APPEAL OF JULIUS MALEMA
235. The appeal is dismissed.
236. With regard to the Appellant`s disciplinary hearing held in May 2010, the sanction imposed by the NDC that the Appellant`s ANC membership be suspended for a period of 2 years is confirmed.
237. In respect of the present disciplinary hearing, the NDCA confirms the sanction imposed by the NDC that the Appellant be expelled from the ANC.
238. These sanctions are applicable to the Appellant`s membership of the ANC Youth League.”
The remaining ANCYL members were told to abide by the ruling and not try to defy it. The youth league was also told by the party president, Jacob Zuma, that they “will have to” elect a new president. Zuma said this while speaking at a New Age newspaper-organised chat session in mid-March. At the time, the ANCYL ridiculed Zuma’s comments as “preemptive” and said the comments showed that the decision to expel Malema from the party was already taken.